Sunday, September 16, 2012

A 200-Peso Accommodation in Boracay?

                  When I have an upcoming trip I prefer to plan everything way ahead, while others just let things flow. I couldn't afford to be the other kind of traveler because usually there's money and time constraints. I wouldn't want to miss the must-do's and the must-sees in a place because I may not be able to go back to that destination in this lifetime.
                  I had been planning a trip to Myanmar  but for some reason it didn't push thru, so was my plan B which was Vietnam. Since I already had vacation leaves approved (which I didn't want to cancel otherwise I might have to wait for weeks or maybe months to get approved for long vacations if there would be no available slots) I decided to finally go to Boracay instead. I booked the tickets less than two weeks before the trip, something I wouldn't normally do. I researched for the cheapest accommodations but I found the rates way beyond my budget , which was not a surprise at all since my trip was scheduled a week after the Holy Week Talk about a bad case of itchy feet! I gave up and decided to just look for one when I get to Boracay. At the back of my mind I was actually counting on what I'd read from one blog that there are lesser known accommodations in the island that are so affordable but are off the radar.I listed them down. I also read from another blogger (blissfulguro.com) that there's even a local that rents out her place to tourists. The blogger even bragged about having brought the rate of the room from P1200 to 700.
                                                         Boracay At last! wasn't able to take pictures when I arrived because I was busy looking for a place to stay

         
                 It was getting dark when I arrived at the Philippines' most famous island.I took the trike from Cagban port to Station 3 where the cheapest Boracay accommodations are said to be located.I paid P20 for the ride (it would be P100 for a special trip). The trike driver dropped me off at the "Talipapa" and I walked thru an alley that led me to Station 3.Since it was already dark when I reached the beach front I could not see how white the sand was which believe it or not was the main reason I chose Boracay. I tried to feel the sand between my toes and it seemed coarse not like the way it's always been described.The first place I decided to check was the house of a local where Blissfulguro stayed at.She was so good at giving directions (must be her forte since she's a teacher) that I found the place in no time.She actually posted a series of pictures in her blog which showed the buildings and signs that led to the house. I'm not gonna mention the house owner's name and you'll definitely find out why. The house is hidden few meters from the beach front. An old lady saw me standing outside her house.She came down the stairs to meet me.She turned out to be the owner. I told her I'd read about her place from a blog. She immediately showed me the available room. It's a spacious room with three beds. She quoted P1500. I asked if she could give me a discount but she wouldn't yield. I remember Blissfulguro saying that she was able to haggle the price down before she could even show her killer moves. I thought of showing mine but I figured it would be to no avail as the "old lady" added that she would give me the room for P1500 even if it's for 3 people but that I should not use the other beds.What she said ticked me off. Why would I use the other two beds when I was alone and only had a backpack on me. She also said that I could not find any cheaper places since it was a peak-season. I dashed away as she was getting on my nerves already. She was right though, it was a peak-season and I started to panic as it was already 7pm and I still had no place to stay.I continued walking along Station 3.The places I passed by looked pricey and it really bothered me because this part of Boracay was suppose to be backpacker friendly but again maybe not during the peak-season.
This is the sign you'll see outside the guesthouse

The 200-Peso Bed at the "Tree House" guest house

View from my room at the Tree House Guest house
                 Few hundred meters from the "old lady's" place was a familiar sign. It says  "Tree House". It was one of those accommodations mentioned on another blog. "Tree House "offers a dorm type accommodation. I asked an employee who was standing outside if they had an  available dorm type rooms but I was told they only had private rooms which  I couldn't afford either. She suggested I walk farther because there's another "Tree House" towards the end of Station 3. Good thing the other place had a dorm type room available , not only that it cost P200 per night.Whaaaaat? P200 for a room few steps away from the less crowded beach of Station3 ? I got excited and checked the room right away. I found it to be OK. I mean for 200 pesos I shouldn't expect too much. I booked 2 nights.
Carrying my things all day since my room doesn't have a lock.
The crowd-free and algae-free beach outside "Tree House" guesthouse
                  For a dorm type  room it was clutter-free .The sheets looked clean.There was only one ceiling fan for 4 people but that was fine because it wasn't hot.No ensuit bathroom but that wasn't an issue either because the shared bathroom was right next door. I took a shower as I was going to explore Boracay's night life. When I was about to leave I found out that the door's lock was broken and  worse is  that I realized that there wasn't a fence that separated the property from the residential area at the back. Anyone could pass by our room anytime or worse might break into it. I ended up carrying my backpack all night and when I slept I was hugging it so freakin' tight as the cabinets had no locks either..Cheap as it seemed ,with its downside it made me wonder if there are still things that come cheap in an overly commercialized destination like Boracay.

11 comments:

  1. hi there melvin! i feel so bad about the "old lady". know what? i will be going back to boracay and the funny thing is that im not planning to stay at her place. i will find a better alternative. tiyempo lang talaga siguro na good mood siya nung andun kami.

    i can feel your fear as you held your back tight with you when you sleep...

    pero we both can agree na station 3 (or further pa) has the best view+best accommodation in boracay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. while seeing the post title itself im kinda scared about the security of your things inside the hotel ... and i am ryt! hahahaha ... you've got the best part based on your photo above .. walang mga dumi at wala masyadong tao

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing. for travelers on budget malaking tulong ito. if you can share where exactly it is in Station 3?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @blissfulguro,mabait naman siguro si ate kaso bitter ako kasi hindi ako umubra sa kanya hahaha.thanks sa post mo.nakatulong talaga mga pictures mo.
    @kulapitot ...maganda nga ang station 3 malayo sa maraming tao,mas malinis pa ang tubig,hindi nga lang ganun kaganda ang sand.thanks for dropping by.
    @jasperjugan...unahan pa siya ng angol road,medyo dulo na ng station 3.thank you for visiting my blog

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  5. pag-may tyaga may nilaga... malaki din ang savings mo sa accomodation ha... since room/hotel accommodations ang may pinakamalaking share ng expenses in every travel. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet deal! For P200, I reckon you get what you pay for. Admin's too cheap to even repair the lock. Would still book the room though if I were in your shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. not a bad deal for a place to stay in Boracay...maganda yung view at crowd free nga! haven't been to Boracay though...thanks for the info about this place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey man, thanks for visiting my blog. You have a nice blog too, needs filing up though :) If you happen to plan a trip to Malaysia let me know, I can take you around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking if I can also get the room with 3 beds for Php1500 from the "old lady". Since I'm with my 2 friends, having Boracay accommodations with such price is good. May I also know the blog where you read it? I'll really appreciate your replay. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a very affordable. How lucky you are! Can you also refer an Affordable Boracay Houses?

    ReplyDelete