Saturday, April 12, 2014

How To Apply For A Schengen Visa At the French Embassy : The Requirements

                            I dreamed of seeing Europe.I really wanted to see it more than any other places on earth.Few years ago I didn't know how I'd be able to do it since i'm not a"richie rich" kid.Saving up for it was just a secondary concern, the biggest obstacle for a Pinoy Passport holder like me is actually getting a Schengen visa.If you are a Filipino I'm sure you're familiar with the term TNT.It pertains to Filipinos who go abroad, overstay and then seek employment without proper documents.Because of this practice it has become so hard to get a visa especially to countries where the number of illegally staying Filipinos have increased, like in Europe.

One of the Windmills in Kinderdijk , The Netherlands
                          There are very important things that European countries would look into to allow one to get into their territory.Among those is the capacity of the applicant to fund his trip and another is a very good reason for the applicant to return back to the Philippines after his trip.One has to prove his "rootedness" in his home country.For a young, single applicant like me that would be an issue. I thought one really needed to have businesses or has to be filthy rich to convince the consuls that you have enough reasons to return .Later I figured that a lengthy tenure in a reputable company might actually suffice.Working for the same company for a long time may give them the impression that you have a stable job and that there's no need to seek one abroad.After realizing this I started preparing for my dream trip.I saved up for it . I also tried to build up a travel history and visited countries that require visa like China and Japan.If you've been to places where you could have overstayed in and sought employment but didn't then you'd gain the trust of the consuls.I did all of that in preparation for a Europe trip that I thought would happen in 2015 yet or maybe a year or two later.For some reason ,all of a sudden last year I thought Europe 2014 would actually be doable and with the Japanese visa I had been issued with I knew I stood a chance.

Colosseum in Rome, Italy


Selfie with Monalisa inside the Louvre Museum in Paris, France

                    In October of 2013 I started planning. First I decided when I'd be going.Summer was out of the question because I didn't fancy the idea of walking on the cobblestone roads in Europe under the scorching sun.Late Autumn or Winter was too soon.Spring would be the perfect time then.I'd heard though that more people are now going to Europe during spring because they realize that Summer would be too crowded since it's the peak and rates are also higher.With this in mind I scheduled my trip in early spring which is mid March.I filed for vacation leaves and luckily they got approved way ahead of my trip.I then made an appointment with the Embassy where I'd be lodging my application.Now please take note of this as a lot of applicants are turned away at this early part of the application process because they are not aware of the rule.If you are visiting more than one schengen state you have to apply at the embassy of that state where you're gonna be staying longer.If you're spending the same number of days in at least two states then you need to lodge your application at the embassy of your first entry.I had heard stories about high rates of visa denial at certain embassies so I avoided them.On the other hand a lot of people have good things to say about the French embassy so I made it my main destination.lol.
I set an appointment with them for interview and submission of requirements by calling :

For Bayantel Subscribers 1 (903) 101- 3333

For PLDT/Smart/Touchcard Subscribers 1 (909) 101- 3333

For Globe/Innove/Touchmobile Subscribers 1 (900) 101- 3333


            Setting appointments is only done by calling the numbers above.That is effective April 2012 according to this site http://www.ambafrance-ph.org/Visas,1261#visa-information. Calling those numbers is really expensive.With my experience it consumed a little more than P600 worth of prepaid load.It could have been less than P500 because I was lucky that on the second try I got thru right away.But since I can be OC sometimes I had to repeat all the information to the rep because I wanted no mistakes.I even called back to ensure the previous rep got everything right. You cannot have an appointment more than 90 days in advance.

           After I had made an appointment I started to gather all the requirements based on the list from the link above:

1. Signed Schengen visa application form with photo (35mm x 45mm, white background) .


          I hate filling out forms. I feel very stupid when I do it. Maybe I'm just afraid to commit mistakes. As I was researching about the whole visa application process I came across a post from this link
http://bubbleofblah.com/visa-series/ from http://bubbleofblah.com/ .about how the blogger filled out the visa application form.Imagine how thrilled I was when I saw it. All the questions I had about the form were answered.It was such a big help.The blogger explains how she filled out each field so you can use it as a guide.You can also check out the other posts from her visa series because they're very detailed and she's also very prompt in answering questions.

For the photo, these are the requirements :

Colored photo taken against a white background
Size: 35mm x 45mm, maximum head length: 25mm
Head must not be tilted
Absolutely no eyewear and headgear in any form
Image must not have been altered
Image must be clear

2. Valid passport (3 months' validity from the end of intended stay) and photocopy of valid arnd fomer visa.

3. Cover letter explaining the purpose of your trip and proposed day-to-day itinerary

             Just like how I did it during my visa application for Japan I really took this one seriously. I researched about the places I'd be visiting because I'd heard of one applicant who was asked about the places she included in her itinerary. Indeed during my interview one of the questions had to do with my itinerary( It will be on the second part of this post).If you know a lot about the places you included in your itinerary then most likely you will be able to convince the consul that you're just really going on holiday.
             For the cover letter I just referred to some samples I found online  since I'm not a writer.I used them as a guide.It was funny though because I found out later that another blogger I had been following must have used the same sample as guide because the cover letter she posted was very similar to mine.I wonder what the lady at the embassy was thinking when she read my cover letter.

4. Proof of accommodations

For tourists: hotel vouchers (for your entire stay in the Schengen area)
If staying with a French resident: “Attestation d’accueil” (delivered by the City hall where
the host is residing – the original must be presented) + copy of that host’s national ID or
residence permit (if citizen of a country outside the EU)

          There is actually a site where you can reserve your accommodations without getting charged but I had been using hostelworld.com so I decided to stick with them.What I like about hostelworld.com is that the ratings you see for the accommodations are reliable.The guests are the ones who rate them after their stay.There is a small percentage though of the actual charge that you have to pay upon making the reservation which I don't mind because aside from the first reason I stated above I feel safe using my card on their site.For the visa application I submitted the print outs of the confirmation that were sent to my email.You may double check the confirmation sent to your email because one time what I booked did not match with the one I got in the email.I had to ask the hostel staff to email me again what they had in their system.

5. Round trip flight booking

              Do not purchase your tickets until you get approved.Although if you come across a really cheap ticket before you get a visa and you just wanna grab the opportunity then you may take the risk.I found an airline (I'm just not sure which one it was)that would allow you to cancel the ticket if the visa got denied but of course with a fee. Only a flight reservation is required during the application and you don't need the help of a travel agency for this.I had read of the term "dummy booking" before I applied for visa.I thought only the travel agencies could do it .I asked around and found out that travel agencies in Manila charge P500 for it.WOW! You can actually do it easily. Just go to the website of some airline companies and book a flight.At the end of the process you would be given different mode of payments.I noticed that not all airline companies have these options.In January this year I found these options on the website of KLM. They gave me 48 hours to pay it at their ticket office in Makati (39th Level, RCBC Plaza - Tower 1)or by wiring the payment.I also tried calling Cathay Pacific Philippines customer service 63 (2) 757-0888 and I was also able to reserve tickets on the phone.Cathay Pacific gave me a longer time to pay which was a week.I submitted the reservation I got from Cathay Pacific so that by the time I was being interviewed it was still valid just in case the embassy would check.The airline company send you the reservation to your email.You can print it out and submit it to the embassy.

6. Proof of employment (if any):
− Certificate of employment with monthly salary and leave of absence approved by employer
            You have to check with your HR the format that they follow when issuing a Certificate of Employment and make sure that the information required for the visa application is stated on the Certificate of Employment.In my case I didn't need another letter stating that I was approved for vacation leaves because it was indicated on the COE.

− If self employed: official business registration for current and previous year
− For priests, nuns and missionaries: certificate from the Apostolic Nunciature and guarantee letter
from French and Filipino congregation


7. Proof of income

− Income tax return from previous year, if applicable

             I had a problem with this in the past because my company no longer issues the old ITR, the ones with carbon paper in between the pages. We only get the digitally signed copy now. This time my question was answered.Yes,the digitally signed copy is accepted for transactions such as visa application.

− Recent bank certification

             I don't know why Metrobank needs to wait for a day before they issue this when I could get it at BPI in less than 30 minutes.The problem with the certificate I got from BPI though is that they didn't indicate the account opening date. I was concerned that it would look like I just put my money in there in time for the visa application.I asked the branch representative to modify it but she wouldn't.That's their format!
            You don't need to worry in case you get the same thing because you still have to submit the photocopy of the last three months statement of the account so the embassy can still see the account activity.
            Once again , regarding the amount that one should have in his account, nothing is specified.Maybe if your itinerary is longer then you have to show that you can afford it.
− Photocopy of the last three months statement of account of the same bank account

8. Identity / marital status

− If married: photocopy of your marriage contract and birth certificate
− If single: photocopy of your birth certificate

       I got an authenticated copy of my birth certificate delivered to me by NSO. I just called their number 737 1111.The rep asked for some information and then gave me the reference number to be written  in the field for account number when I pay it at a Metrobank branch. I paid P350.
      For some reason the lady at the embassy returned my birth certificate to me.She told me they didn't need it.I don't know why it's still on the list.
− For minors not travelling with either parent, a copy of the DSWD permit


9. An international travel insurance (medical expenses and repatriation) covering the entire period of theperson’s intented stay and valid for all Schengen states. Minimum coverage should be EUR 30,000.

             I got mine from Blue Cross.I didn't bother to check the other companies even though I'd heard that some are cheaper, Why? because I'm a creature of habit. Hostelworld.....Hostelworld,Blue Cross....Blue Cross.What I like about Blue cross is that I can pay it in cash at their office on Makati Avenue where I could ask them tons of questions, something that a rep on the phone might not have the patience for.I could also pick up the policy right then and there.After discussing it with the staff , I had mine modified because I wanted the stop over shown on the flight reservation to be covered which was HongKong. I was not able to research about this part if it was really necessary.I just didn't want to be turned away by the embassy.The Blue Cross staff also advised me to add 15 days on top of the actual number of days I'd be travelling to be also covered with insurance.I wasn't sure about this either but I just wanted to be on the safe side. They even showed me something that listed the different Schengen states with the corresponding number of days to be added on the actual travel dates .I tried to look it up online but could not see it on an official site.One blogger though advised the same thing for those applying at the French embassy.

10. Visa fee (prevailing peso equivalent of EUR 60), payable in cash
             This one varies depending on the exchange rate.At the time of my application I paid P3610.

             After completing all the requirements I was already stressed out and exhausted that I was no longer thinking about the result. I just wanted to get it over and done with.On the next post I'll be writing about the actual submission of the requirements and the interview at the Embassy of France in the Philippines.



14 comments:

  1. Hey, you are a gem! I'm on the process of applying for my own Schengen visa and I find your posts very thorough. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I updated my site and this is the updated URL for the Schengen visa application form: http://bubbleofblah.com/schengen-visa-application-form/
    I'd appreciate it a lot if you updated your post to reflect the changes I made. Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristine.Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melvin. I'm really sorry if I'm gonna ask you to update the link again to this one: http://bubbleofblah.com/visa-series/ I changed the permalinks in my blog and consolidated all of the visa posts into one mega post. :D I so appreciate the link back. :) Thanks Melvin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello melvin.. Can i get your facebook account..?
    You can add me here pascual.jenielyn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, if I ask for help for firm that offers visa services in the Philippines, do you think my visa will approve?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, i just wanted to ask, what if my company disapproved my leave of absence? any idea? please help..

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi melvin pde macopy ang itinerary mo thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that I've found your post. Be reminded that visa processing in the Philippines requires a lot.can you provide me this service?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice and interesting information and informative too.
    Can you please let me know the good attraction places we can visit: Akbar Travels Sri Lanka Visa

    ReplyDelete

  11. Very nice and Valauble Information. To Get more information about Visa, Please visit us on Schengen visa

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete


  13. Really nice and got more info from your side with your this blog, Can you advice and help me to explore more China Visa Business or Tourist. Keep Posting, I loved a lot in reading yours.

    ReplyDelete